The After House

  • The After House
  • Product Code: A2-38790
  • Availability: In Stock

The After House by Mary roberts 


By the bequest of an elder brother, I was left enough money to see me

through a small college in Ohio, and to secure me four years in a medical school

in the East. Why I chose medicine I hardly know. Possibly the career of a

surgeon attracted the adventurous element in me. Perhaps, coming of a family of

doctors, I merely followed the line of least resistance. It may be, indirectly but

inevitably, that I might be on the yacht Ella on that terrible night of August 12,

more than a year ago.

I got through somehow. I played quarterback on the football team, and made

some money coaching. In summer I did whatever came to hand, from chartering

a sail-boat at a summer resort and taking passengers, at so much a head, to

checking up cucumbers in Indiana for a Western pickle house.

I was practically alone. Commencement left me with a diploma, a new dress￾suit, an out-of-date medical library, a box of surgical instruments of the same

date as the books, and an incipient case of typhoid fever.

I was twenty-four, six feet tall, and forty inches around the chest. Also, I had

lived clean, and worked and played hard. I got over the fever finally, pretty much

all bone and appetite; but—alive. Thanks to the college, my hospital care had

cost nothing. It was a good thing: I had just seven dollars in the world.

The yacht Ella lay in the river not far from my hospital windows. She was not

a yacht when I first saw her, nor at any time, technically, unless I use the word in

the broad sense of a pleasure-boat. She was a two-master, and, when I saw her

first, as dirty and disreputable as are most coasting-vessels. Her rejuvenation was

the history of my convalescence. On the day she stood forth in her first coat of

white paint, I exchanged my dressing-gown for clothing that, however loosely it

hung, was still clothing. Her new sails marked my promotion to beefsteak, her

brass rails and awnings my first independent excursion up and down the corridor

outside my door, and, incidentally, my return to a collar and tie.

The river shipping appealed to me, to my imagination, clean washed by my

illness and ready as a child's for new impressions: liners gliding down to the bay

and the open sea; shrewish, scolding tugs; dirty but picturesque tramps. My

enthusiasm amused the nurses, whose ideas of adventure consisted of little jaunts

of exploration into the abdominal cavity, and whose aseptic minds revolted at the

sight of dirty sails.

One day I pointed out to one of them an old schooner, red and brown, with

patched canvas spread, moving swiftly down the river before a stiff breeze.

"Look at her!" I exclaimed. "There goes adventure, mystery, romance! I

should like to be sailing on her."

"You would have to boil the drinking-water," she replied dryly. "And the ship

is probably swarming with rats."

"Rats," I affirmed, "add to the local color. Ships are their native habitat. Only

sinking ships don't have them."

But her answer was to retort that rats carried bubonic plague, and to exit,

carrying the sugar-bowl. I was ravenous, as are all convalescent typhoids, and

one of the ways in which I eked out my still slender diet was by robbing the

sugar-bowl at meals.

That day, I think it was, the deck furniture was put out on the Ella—numbers

of white wicker chairs and tables, with bright cushions to match the awnings. I

had a pair of ancient opera-glasses, as obsolete as my amputating knives, and,

like them, a part of my heritage. By that time I felt a proprietary interest in the

Ella, and through my glasses, carefully focused with a pair of scissors, watched

the arrangement of the deck furnishings. A girl was directing the men. I judged,

from the poise with which she carried herself, that she was attractive—and knew

it. How beautiful she was, and how well she knew it, I was to find out before

long. McWhirter to the contrary, she had nothing to do with my decision to sign

as a sailor on the Ella.

One of the bright spots of that long hot summer was McWhirter. We had

graduated together in June, and in October he was to enter a hospital in Buffalo

as a resident. But he was as indigent as I, and from June to October is four


"Four months," he said to me. "Even at two meals a day, boy, that's

something over two hundred and forty. And I can eat four times a day, without a

struggle! Wouldn't you think one of these overworked-for-the-good-of-humanity 

dubs would take a vacation and give me a chance to hold down his practice?"  ...................... Download Now to read more about " The After House " by Mary Roberts 

Product Information 

Product: Ebook 

File Size: 0.71Mb

File ext: pdf 

Total page: 165pgs

*** Select free Checkout at Payment Option to get for free

File is ready, Add to cart to Download

  • FREE

Write a review

Please login or register to review

Tags: Ebook